June 21, 2009

Be the flame, not the moth

I'm trying this new thing where I focus completely on myself: wearing clothes I like as opposed to what's trendy or what looks sexy; watching books and reading movies that I've never seen of heard of (so as to steep myself in culture before I head off to college); spending time walking and talking with old and new friends and acquaintances; and most of all, working on being more patient and mellow. Whenever something doesn't seem to be going according to plan, I feel the urge to do everything in my power to put things back on track. What I realized very recently is that I can't control everything no matter how hard I try, and that sometimes my efforts only serve to worsen the situation. So I'm taking a step back from all that. I'm not going to pre-select an appropriate guy to spend the next two months with and I'm not going to act a certain way to attract him, either. I feel more peaceful already, just from writing that down! Let's see if, and how long, I can keep this up...

I spent a good deal of time this weekend attending various graduation and birthday parties. It barely stopped raining! The parties were, overall, wonderful in terms of company and refreshments. One party was catered by the little Italian deli I used to go to for lunch every week, and another was catered by some Cuban restaurant in a nearby town. I'm still full!

FRIDAY: Gray American Apparel romper, black BDG oversize tee shirt, gold bracelet and chain earrings from Urban Outfitters, and brown leather fringed sandals.
SATURDAY: Highwaisted denim shorts from Forever 21, brown woven leather belt, white homemade cropped top, black Gap cardigan, black Docs, gold bracelet.
SUNDAY: Same outfit as Saturday except I wore a really big navy blue and gold patterned shirt that I got at Goodwill.

My theme song for the weekend: WATCH/LISTEN. I simply cannot get enough of Damon Albarn!

No comments: