March 6, 2009

This has been one of the best weeks. I managed to get all my clothes off my floor and couch, made my bed, and got my writing portfolio off to Pratt in time to meet the deadline!

In addition, I had the privilege of attending the gallery opening of one of my friend's friends, Kenneth E. Parris III, in Chelsea last night. Here's another website with more of his works. I didn't realize until I looked at the second one just now, but I've actually seen his work before, in a little booklet in the art room at my school! I liked them then, too, although I have to say, out of all of them, I like the ones that are simply paintings the best, I think.
I feel vaguely ridiculous for actually really liking his artist statement - I love the words he used as well as what he said: "In my work, I explore inter-personal relationships and the effect of an individual’s actions on the surrounding human landscape. I am an observer, a listener, a story collector, seeking out the details in the patterns and cycles of our lives..." Doesn't that sound intriguing? It's actually similar to the theme I came up with for my AP concentration this year, although I'm not sure I'll be able to phrase my ideas so eloquently.
We went to a slightly bizarre restaurant before the opening - Basta Pasta, a Japanese-Italian fusion place. I liked what I got, and overall it seemed like a really cool place, but almost every dish had mushrooms in it! which kind of ruined it for me. (Non mi piacciono i funghi.) And my friend thought her dad knocked a plate off the table at one point, so she dived after it and hit a waiter (the waiter who had picked the plate up in the first place). My favorite part, though? The handmade menus were held together with rubber bands and uncooked spaghetti noodles. No, I'm not kidding.

No comments: