March 9, 2009

Because Running Just Doesn't Do It Sometimes,

I tried a Bikram yoga class tonight for the first time. It was a lot more intense than I was expecting, and the above-body temperature in the room made it a little harder for me to breathe, but I feel amazing (if a little sore) now! My skin is really soft and smooth, and I feel more flexible and more relaxed. I've only ever attended yoga classes that were primarily based on the spiritual nature of the exercise, so this was a completely new experience. The teacher kept saying things like "The only judgments here are the ones you make about yourself, so remember that you are doing the best that you can - don't compare yourself to those around you" which was a really nice thing to think about. I hope to eliminate judgments from more parts of my life than just the time I spend within the classroom. I feel inspired (as I always do when I stumble across something new) to continue the classes and to redouble my interest in meditation. And, on the plus side, I now know that I don't have to jog to stay in shape! Excellent.

No comments: